Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
--Remember to always vote for Harlequin RO!--
SERVER IS UP. EVERYTHING IS UP AND RUNNING. PLEASE GO DOWNLOAD THE NEW INSTALLER.

The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters

Go down 
2 posters

Which is your favorite starting character in RO?
Novice
The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_lcap0%The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Super Novice
The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_lcap14%The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Swordman
The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_lcap0%The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Mage
The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_lcap14%The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Gunslinger
 0% [ 0 ]
Taekwon
 14% [ 1 ]
Ninja
 14% [ 1 ]
Thief
 14% [ 1 ]
Merchant
 14% [ 1 ]
Acolyte
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
doctorate

doctorate

The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters Empty
PostSubject: The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters   The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 am

Introduction: (READ THIS)

• I am NOT a pro. I am writing this guide because I've done this kind of leveling in several mid rate and low rate servers I've played so far.
  • This guide my own property. Which means I haven't taken ANY point from anywhere NOR can you from mine.
  • This is a on-going guide which means you can post your views and I'll keep adding stuff into it by editing again and again. So visit whenever possible.
  • All my chars start with LEGEND if you want to contact me in-game.
  • The STAT allotment is a separate subtopic. So read it before alloting stats randomly.
  • For now, this guide has the leveling spots for ONLY Mage -> Wizard casters. The Sage part will be written soon. I'm still remembering all the places I went to in iRO to level mine study . Maybe I'll write a separate guide for Sages so as not to make this one cluttered.

Now that the official stuff is out of the way, lets get kicking oops, casting farao .

Version History
0.1 - Started this thread
0.2 - Corrected some typos
0.3 - Added the Vertical Firewall technique

STAT Allotment
start out with this - 9 DEX, 9 INT, 2 AGI and 7 LUK
Then put points in this order:
20 INT
20 DEX
40 INT
30 DEX
70 INT
40 DEX
85 INT
70 DEX
99 INT
90 DEX
Rest in VIT or AGI your preference. Put them in AGI if you have VIT enhancement cards.

Trust me in this. A wizard without INT is a piece of garbage. No matter how fast you cast, without INT you won't last long. Also, if you are planning to go for WoE and PvP, I'd suggest stopping DEX at 80 and put 30-40 VIT to survive longer.

Skill Points Allocation
About skills, there are two most popular skill builds you can choose from.
  1. Fire Wall Build
    [list=2]
  2. Safety Wall Build

Allot points in this order. You won't regret it. I have tried it several times.

FIRE SKILLS:
Fire Bolt 5/6 -> Fire Ball 5 -> Sight 1 -> Fire Wall 10/9 -> Fire Bolt 10 -> Lightining Bolt 5 -> Cold Bolt 5 -> Frost Diver 4/5* -> Thunder Storm 1 -> Napalm Beat 1 -> Stone Curse 1

*If you want to go job 50, you'll have 6 more points. Spend it wherever you want.
Or if you want to change at job 40(which I DO NOT recommend), then stop Frost Diver at 1 and put Thunder Storm, Napalm Beat and Stone Curse 1 each. They are pre-requisites for Wizard skills So, don't miss them.

Jupitel Thunder 5 -> Storm Gust 10 -> Lord of Vermillion 10 -> Earth Spike 3/4 -> Heavens Drive 5 -> Quagmire 3 -> Sight Trasher 2 -> Meteor Storm 9/10*

*If you are not a fan of meteor storm, then go for Ice wall 5 and Fire Pillar 5.

ICE SKILLS:
Cold Bolt 10 -> Frost Diver 5 -> Thunder Storm 5 -> Napalm Beat 7 -> Soul Strike 5 -> Safety Wall 10 -> Fire Bolt 5* -> Stone Curse 1

*If you want to change at job 40, don't choose this build. You will suck at killing in both MvP and PvP. If you go 50 job, then put the rest in Frost Diver.

Jupitel Thunder 5 -> Lord of Vermillion* 10 -> Storm Gust 10* -> Ice Wall 5 -> Frost Nova 8** -> Jupitel Thunder 10

*The order of getting LoV and SG is not important. Get both to level 10 before you touch any other skills.
**Get atleast level 8 since the SP cost is almost halved.

Vertical Firewall Technique
This is a VERY important technique that every mage/wizard needs to know. It will help you escape tough monsters and stay alive for a longer time duration. The techique uses the Firewall skill of the Mages to the full extent. If you see the firewall that you cast closely, it has THREE vertical bars of fire that make up the wall. Whenyou cast it to prevent a monster from attacking you like this:

You

^
|
It

As you can see, it hits only one of the three bars of fire and when the bar's duration closes, it will come into the wall or though it. The way to fully utilise the firewall is by making the monster hit ALL THREE bars before it actually comes out. Then, you need to cast the wall beside you and provoke the monster and move in such a way the monster hits the wall. Confused? Suspect Rolling Eyes See the description below:

You End here *

move *

U start here *
|
|
Monster

Assume that you are in the CELL NEXT to the cell where the wall is cast. You MUST move in a STRAIGHT line towards the end of your wall and the monster will keep hitting all the three bars before it can reach you. Move STRAIGHT! Remember that! If you move a little cross, the monster will ignore the wall and start following you. The BEST place to end up after the your STRAIGHT walk is right on the cell above the Wall's first bar. Like this:

You

Monster

See? The monster will get the most damage out of your wall and you'll have all the time needed to make a number of bolts rain on its head to finish it. jocolor Happy hunting!!!
Starting Out

We all have to start out as novices. We will be poor for quite some time. But, for mages, it is an advantage as most mages do not need any kind of equipment or weapons other than a simple Rod[0] for leveling. Personally, I never buy any other armor for mage until I have enough money to spend for a Pupa card. Otherwise, my mage or wizard will have a Rod[0] or Staff[2] with Cotton Shirts as armor. So, do not get a bad reputation from other players by begging for zeny. For mages, we will be pumping DEX and INT. So, no matter how much armor, you have, you'll probably die in two hits without HP enhancement cards.

When you start in the novice training grounds, start speking with Mana there and speak with her twice to get your first 10 base levels. Then DO NOT warp out. Go right and walk in through the portal and talk to the NPC there and select Apply for Training. You'll be warped to another room where you'll see many NPCs. Talk to the knight NPC in front of you and spam enter till you get another 9 job levels. After that, go left inside the portal and talk to the Trainer NPC and spam enter till you fet another 12 bases. See? Easy exp. Then talk to the other trainer to the right and she'll give you a Main Gauche[0] and 300 novice potions. They are pretty useful.

Go out. Beat the crap outta the porings, drops, lunatics and fabres there till you get 10 job levels. Its time for some magic. Go to the NPC north of the training grounds and talk to him to warped to another room. Here, talk to the NPC left of you then to the one in front of you. Select the LAST option for all his personality test questions. Then you'll be given some potion, phracon, zeny and a Rod[0] - your weapon. king

You'll be teleported to Geffen. Type @go 0 in your chat box to go to Prontera if you want to change into a mage fast or read the job change guide here if you wannna have some fun and change.

Magic Time

Its time to become a mage now. You can do this in two ways:
  1. By talking to the Job Master NPC
    [list=2]
  2. By going through the usual job change process (My favorite)

The first one is pretty self explanatory. The second one however, needs some explanations. That will take another guide entirely. It is available in this location, you can visit this page.

Now, we'll continue the guide from after changing to the mage job, life will be more easier. If you talked to the NPC in the room north of the training grounds, you will have a Rod[0]. If not, hunt some weak monsters and collect all their loot and sell them. When you get some zeny, buy a Rod[1] or Rod[0] from Weapon Dealer NPCs in Geffen. The reason I'm stressing to buy it even though you can cast without it is that it gives 15% boost to your MATK. This is very useful in the starting stages. Smile

Now, you are a mage with no skills. Go one map left or right of Prontera and beat up the porings for your first few skill levels. After you've got about 10-15 job points, we'll have to change the place. Now, it will change according to whether you have Fire Wall build or Safety Wall build.

I'll assume you are base 30 and job 12 for now and tell the places you must go to level. The explanation for the leveling places will be written as and when I have time to do so.

Fire Wall Build:
30-50 - Wolves*, Horns (One map west and one map north of Prontera or Two maps south of Payon)
50-60 - Floras (MtMjolnir map 11)
30-40 - Mandragoras (Two maps east of Prontera)
40-60 - Floras (MtMjolnir map 11 use Warper. Have lots of fly wings and potions)
60-85 - Geographers (Einbroch field 4 DO NOT walk near them. they have attak range of 7 cells)
70-90 - Clocks(Clock Tower 2 floor. Bring potions and fly wings.)
80-99 - Siromas(Ice Dungeon level 1 use LoV and JT)
99-? - Ice Titans(Ice Dungeon level 2 use LoV and JT try with party or atleast one healer)

Safety Wall Build:
30-60 - Stapos and Droseras(Rachel map 2)
60-80 - Dokebi(One map east, one map south and one map east from Payon)
70-80 - Greatest Generals(Same map as Dokebi)
80-99 - Siromas(Ice Dungeon level 1 use LoV and JT)
99-? - Ice Titans(Ice Dungeon level 2 use LoV and JT try with party or atleast one healer)

Explanation of leveling spots
1. Wolves
At this low level, attacking Wolves and Horns can be tough. So, don't go attacking head on. The map can be easily used to snipe the monsters. Sniping? Its easy. Let me explain.

You | Monster
|
You must be standing below or above a ledge and be casting on the monster on the other side of the ledge. Horns are cast sensors. But, they cannot attack you since there is a ledge in between you and it. It may take some time to find a monster by the ledge and kill it. As you kill three, four Horns/Wolves, you'll get enough INT and maybe Firewall levels to take them head on. Smile

To take on the monsters head on, you need to able to run readily when you cast. So, don't get too close to the monster you are attacking. Try it on Wolves first since they are not cast sensors and do not attack till you've hit them with all your Firebolts. If you are taking on Horns, be sure to put a firewall level 6 or above in between you and it like this:

You
******** Firewall
^
|
Horn

That way, it hits the wall and you'll be safe to cast on it. Wolves have 900HP and Horns around 800. So, if the total number that comes up after the 10 Bolts have rained is less, be sure to click in the opposite direction to run madly. Both hit hard and Wolves mob, ie., they gang up on you.

2. Floras
They can prove to be hard to hit as they have around 8000HP and the map is infested with Argos and Petites. affraid REMEMBER: Don't even try to attack Argos and Petites. They'll hit about 300-400 and your HP will be like 400 at max. No RUN if you see any of them in your screen. To boost it, Flora give mad exp. So, it is worth the effort. Be sure to learn the Vertical Firewall technique mentioned above.

3. Mandragoras
These are easy like candu. The only thing you have to be careful about is their range. They have an attack range of 5 cells. So, don't get close. Also, they spawn near you at times. So, have some pots or HP items with you all the time.

4. Geographers
They have lot of HP and they heal other monsters near them. Then map also has Metallings which you can attack easily. But, be sure to come here with decent amount of INT or you'll be spamming your full SP bar to kill one Geographer. Be sure to stay away from Geographers as their attack range is 7 Cells. And they'd probably kill in one or two hits. Attack the ones that are not near other Geographers first. Then, when your INT is about 60 or so, you can spam Bolts on the one that heal their nearby friends. Collect all their drops. The other monsters in this map are too tough and are cast sensors. So, son't try and hit them. You can kill Hodes once yout INT is 60ish. The drops of this map sell for like 200-1000zeny each to NPCs. So, you'll be semi-rich in no time. Even after you become a Wizard, be sure to come back to this map for some more leveling before you go to other places.

5. Clocks
Clocks can be managed easily if you know Vertical Firewall technique. Practice, Practice, Practice. I cannot stress the importance of that enough. You need to learn the technique to survive here longer than a few minutes. Except Clocks, you cannot kill anything here easily. So, be sure to have few Fly wings on a hot key if any gets close. And have pots too to survive. If you know a priest who can heal slave you, it would be a walk in the park to level here as Clocks give massive exp per kill. bounce

6. Siromas
Get a party before you come here. Siromas can be easily dealt if you have LoV skill and Jupitel Thunder. But, if your party members can keep you alive till you put the spell, it takes long..., you will level faster. Else, get a card to enable un-interrupted casting. I recommend you stay here till you have enough DEX to cast LoV faster(like in 5 seconds or so).

7. Ice Titans
Just like Siromas except it get tougher here. The Titans have massive HP so you wanna cast fast or else you'll be history. Getting a perty memeber to help you survive is also a good option. Just ake sure the Titans don't get close. You'll be killed in one hit. Two at maximum. Have the Enery Coat skill on all the time. Enjoy! sunny

Wizard Job Change

Once you hit job 50 or whatever you want to according to your build, go to Prontera to change to a Wizard the easy way(from Job Master NPC) or go to Geffen to change the way I like it. Smile
I will write a job change quest guide soon for both Mage and Wizard characters.

Conclusion
This guide is on-going as I said before. So, if you have any comments, criticisms, please feel free to reply to this thread or contact me by mail, PM or just talk to me in-game. Thank you for allowing me to write this guide Zazie <3 .[code]

Last edited by doctorate on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:42 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected typos heavily and included links to my job change guide)
Back to top Go down
thunderevil

thunderevil

The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters   The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 pm

you did a gr8 job bro
cheers
Back to top Go down

The Art of Casting ~ A complete leveling guide for Casters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: Guides & Information-
Jump to: